[O] bug#17484: 24.3.91; Emacs Pretest (emacs-24.3.91.tar.xz) freeze

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: [O] bug#17484: 24.3.91; Emacs Pretest (emacs-24.3.91.tar.xz) freeze
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 13:59:45 -0400

> So, that's an org-mode bug, I'll try to see if I can reproduce it

Right: org-adaptive-fill-function should finish fairly promptly.

> (though I wonder why it uses `inhibit-quit' in the first place).

It's not org-mode which binds inhibit-quit but the C code that runs
jit-lock.  The C code binds inhibit-quit basically any time we run
"asynchronous code" (i.e. code run from redisplay, timers,
process-filters, ...) since the user usually doesn't really know that
such is running, so if she hits C-g she doesn't mean for it to interrupt
that code, but instead to do something else (e.g. get out of the
minibuffer).

The flip side is that all code run from jit/font-lock, process filters
and timers should be super extra careful to finish promptly and never
ever get into an inf-loop.

        Stefan