[O] Using Emacs, Org-mode and R for Research Writing in Social Sciences

From: Vikas Rawal
Subject: [O] Using Emacs, Org-mode and R for Research Writing in Social Sciences
Date: Mon, 12 May 2014 14:57:19 +0200

I have been using Org for writing research papers for a while, gradually
improving my set up to be able to exactly produce the output I want. In this
process, I have benefited greatly not only from the resources available on the
Org-mode website but also from various people who generously provided solutions
to my numerous queries on this mailing list. I felt that it may be of some use
if I put together all the pieces and document what I was doing.

I have put the draft for comments at:
https://github.com/vikasrawal/orgpaper/blob/master/orgpapers.org

It has been written keeping in mind my graduate students as examples of
potential beneficiaries of the documentation. Which means that I had somewhat
specific requirements in mind. Also, I have tried to write it for somebody who
is not familiar with emacs/org-mode and would like to start using the system
before investing time in learning the nitty-gritties. That is how I have always
managed to entice my students to using free software. I give them a working
setup that they can use, and slowly help them learn the insides of it. So the
focus is not to provide all the possible options and different ways of
customising the output but to provide a specific usable solution.

For whatever it is worth, here it is. Pointers to any errors as well as
comments for improving it would be greatly appreciated. Also, I would be happy
to contribute it to Worg, if people consider it useful.

With thanks to the Org community,

Vikas