Re: [O] using org-refile to sort research notes?

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [O] using org-refile to sort research notes?
Date: Tue, 06 May 2014 19:05:47 -0400

Hi Jay,

Jay Dixit <address@hidden> wrote:
[...]
> 2. What's the best way to do this? Should I add all of my chapter.org files
> to the agenda using org-agenda-file-to-front? I ask because these are not
> TODO headings, just headings with notes and quotes, so I'm not sure if
> using org-agenda functionality is appropriate.
> 3. I am also learning to use org-agenda, so I do have a work.org file that
> has my TODO tasks in it. Is there a way to temporarily remove my
> work.orgTODO headings from the refile targets for when I'm sorting my
> book notes?

Here are a couple other approaches you can consider.

As mentioned in other responses, the best way depends on your preference
for structuring your Org files. I prefer to keep project-specific files
separate from my general agenda files. If I capture something in my
agenda files that I want to refile to a non-agenda file, I use a few
functions [1] for temporarily setting `org-refile-targets'.

If you are repeatedly refiling to certain targets (but still want to
keep them separate from you're global refiling targets), you can define
a function that overrides `org-refile-targets' and then bind it to a
key.

Another solution, if you are only refiling between files within your
book chapter directory, is to use a .dir-locals.el file in your book
directory and set `org-refile-targets' there.

  ((org-mode . ((org-refile-targets . (... project settings ...)))))

[1]
https://github.com/kyleam/emacs.d/blob/b15ba9f8250c433b621da023f7607cbf29c25581/lisp/init-org.el#L221-L254

--
Kyle