Re: [O] Bibliography woes!

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Bibliography woes!
Date: Mon, 5 May 2014 18:39:40 -0500

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM, Sharon Kimble
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Eric S Fraga <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>>> and this is the bibliography file
>>> @Article{,
>>
>> change this line to
>>
>>   @Article{1,
>>
>> although I would recommend a more description label personally...
>
> I've set it up with the articles author and year, but it is still
> failing. I'm attaching the original org file, the generated tex and
> pdf, and the bib file. Hopefully this will help find a solution?

I've been following this from a distance, as I'm interested in
eventually getting into this. I would kindly ask that you slow down
your pace, check things over, and proceed *simply* to solve your
problem. Eric advocated using @Article{1, ...

Without ever having used biblatex, I immediately wondered whether a
comma delimited bibliography would tolerate:

@Article{MacRae K, et al;2002, ...

The answer is that it will not. You also have multiple lines loading
the same package:

#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage{biblatex}
#+LATEX_HEADER:
\usepackage[citestyle=authoryear-icomp,bibstyle=authoryear,hyperref=true,backref=true,maxcitenames=3,url=true,backend=biber,natbib=true]{biblatex}
# #+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[backend=bibtex,style=verbose]{biblatex}

Lastly, I would highly suggest limiting your requests for help to
extremely simple examples. For example, remove packages that do not
affect the behavior of the problem, such as bussproofs, babel,
fancyhdr, etc.

I was able to get your file working via the following method:

- Modified cat.bib:

@Article{1,
  author = {MacRae K. Pattison J.},
  title = {Home chemotherapy.},
  journaltitle = {Nursing Times},
  year = {2002},
  key = {1},
  volume = {98},
  number = {35},
  pages = {34-35},
}

- Modified/shortened/simplified cat.org:

# -*- mode:org; mode:reftex; indent-tabs-mode:nil; tab-width:2 -*-
#+TITLE: Cat on the mat - 2014
#+AUTHOR: Sharon Kimble & Sarah ?
#+LATEX_CLASS: article
#+LATEX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [a4paper]
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \usepackage[backend=biber,style=verbose,style=numeric]{biblatex}
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \bibliography{/home/jwhendy/Downloads/cat.bib} %%% <-
change this path
#+LaTeX_HEADER: \bibliography{cat

* Chapter 1
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy
nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat.\cite{1}

* Bibliography
\printbibliography

Note that you needed to load biblatex before your bibliography (which
you sort of did, but then re-loaded it with a bunch of options and
then perhaps again at the end depending on how Org deals with the #
symbol before #+ lines. You can tweak the options to biblatex however
you'd like; I just simplified a bit to single down to one line loading
it.

\bibliography needed to call the file cat, not bibliography.

In addition, I had to run C-c C-e l p to export to latex, then check
the buffer *Org PDF LaTeX Output* for messages regarding the failed
citation. It suggested to run biber on the file cat, which I did from
the command line.

# note that I saved all your stuff in my download folder
$ cd ~/Downloads
$ biber cat

Make sure you have the biber executable installed. I didn't know
anything about it and thought biblatex might provide it. I had to
explicitly install biber. You should be a path as the response to the
following if you have it:

$ which biber

Running biber generated .bbl.

Then, re-running C-c C-e l p from Org works for me (at least I think;
see attached to verify).

Lastly, when I encountered an error, I googled to find out what to do:
- Using biber: http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/26516/how-to-use-biber
- Why \bibliography was giving me an error:
http://kb.mit.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3907111

If this works, someone can chime in regarding how to modify Org so
that it will run the necessary biber/biblatex commands so you don't
have to jump to a command line every time. Or perhaps that's a one
time thing -- maybe as long as biber generates the .bbl file, you can
refer to anything you want in that file from then on?

Hope that helps,
John