[O] Export Agenda to Google Calendar ICS Format

From: Tory S. Anderson
Subject: [O] Export Agenda to Google Calendar ICS Format
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 05:24:12 -0400

Cross-posted from
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23463962/emacs-export-calendar-bad-timezone-format-in-ics

Using orgmode I export my agenda to an ics file, upload it to my site, and
import it into Google calendar. This seems like an easy ideal solution, but
when I check the calendar I find that it is not recognizing the time zone of my
ics file and so is assuming GMT, making my imported times uselessly off. The
problem seems to be the same as the one described here:

http://blog.jonudell.net/2011/10/17/x-wr-timezone-considered-harmful/

Checking my exported ics, sure enough, it is using X-WR-TIMEZONE:EST, which
Google calendar does not respect. This must be a well-known problem, but I
haven't been able to locate a solution anywhere. Help would be appreciated: how
can I get the right time on my events (and they must be a feed; the "add to
calendar" trick is no good)?