Re: [O] Heading vs Headline

From: Kyle Meyer
Subject: Re: [O] Heading vs Headline
Date: Sat, 03 May 2014 16:04:30 -0400

Sebastien Vauban wrote:
[...]
> Particularly in the Org Beamer documentation, headlines seems the most
> used term while there is a tag "ignoreheading"...

Function names in org.el tend to use "heading".

#+begin_src sh
  grep defun org.el | grep heading | wc -l
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 28

#+begin_src sh
  grep defun org.el | grep headline | wc -l
#+end_src

#+RESULTS:
: 3

> I have the impression that both terms (heading and headline) are
> synonyms. Though, is this true, or is there some subtle nuance?

I think Org uses them interchangeably. One of the three functions above
that use "headline" is `org-find-exact-headline-in-buffer', and the
function immediately below it is `org-find-exact-heading-in-directory'.

--
Kyle