Re: [O] State of the art in citations

From: Clément B .
Subject: Re: [O] State of the art in citations
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 18:05:20 +0200

> I find the best way to support ODT is simply add something like this:
>
>       ((eq format 'odt)
>        (format "(%s)" desc))
>
> This doesn't create a bibliography section, but that section is awkward
> to export to anyway. It requires the 3rd party Org hack that isn't
> officially supported, java, jabref, is awfully slow (~2
> seconds/reference), etc. I now put the references inline as above, and
> then manually add the references by exporting to PDF and copying/paste
> that reference section.
>
> Not great, but less of a hack than ODT-supported references, and working
> with ODT/Word is a hack anyway.

I came to a similar conclusion for html export, it is very hard
to match bibtex/biblatex to produce a proper bibliography, so one
might as well use it. At one point, the thought of writing a
custom citation style that would output html code crossed my mind
(I think biblatex would allow that), but I just don't use html
export enough. Although if this is possible, it could work with
xml for odt as well.

> Still looking into "lastname (Year)" format...

I hadn't noticed that before, but now that you mention it, I
think this is related to the way you format your bib file.

For example "%A (%y)" with:

1. name = {Darwin, Charles}
   year = {1859}

   will yield "Darwin (1859)"

2. name = {Charles Darwin}
   year = {1859}

   will yield "Charles Darwin (1859)

Not very consistent. This might be something to take to the
AUCTeX guys.