Re: [O] Bug: Setting system command org-file-apps does not allow other s

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: Re: [O] Bug: Setting system command org-file-apps does not allow other settings to refer to it [8.2.5h (release_8.2.5h-620-g7fd183 @ /home/rrt/.emacs.d/el-get/package/elpa/org-20140210/)]
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 14:54:13 +0100

On 23 April 2014 16:04, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
Okay, see those two bits of `org-file-apps' docstring:

`auto-mode'    Matches files that are matched by any entry in `auto-mode-alist',
               so all files Emacs knows how to handle.  Using this with
               command `emacs' will open most files in Emacs.  Beware that this
               will also open html files inside Emacs, unless you add
               ("html" . default) to the list as well.

So (auto-mode . emacs) says to open .pdf files in emacs... but
("\\.pdf\\'" . default) says to open .pdf files using the "default"
application:

 `default'     Use the default application for this file type, which is the
               association for t in the list

Since you have (t . "xdg-open %s"), xdg-open is used.

Yep, it's all a bit tricky...

Thanks for explaining more. The reason I was (and remain!) still confused is that you said earlier that because "auto-mode" comes first, it is not overridden by changing the default value later. So the implication is that changing the default value does not override other values, but changing the system value does. Am I correct?

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org