Re: [O] Altering effect of deadline on priority calculation

From: peregrinehill
Subject: Re: [O] Altering effect of deadline on priority calculation
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 09:24:39 -0400

Actually, I have no complaints about the built-in sorting functions themselves.  It's the priority calculation.  I guess priority-down would show that problem most clearly.  I have a lot of tasks, so I've altered the priority calculation to produce a larger number for each item, like this:

(defun org-get-priority (s)
  "Find priority cookie and return priority."
  (save-match-data
    (if (functionp org-get-priority-function)
    (funcall org-get-priority-function)
      (if (not (string-match org-priority-regexp s))
      (* org-custom-sorting-intensity (- org-lowest-priority org-default-priority))
    (* org-custom-sorting-intensity (- org-lowest-priority
           (string-to-char (match-string 2 s))))))))

custom-sorting-intensity is usually around 4500, so I get large numbers and therefore lots of gradations.  But this is just takes care of the priority-cookie part of the calculation.

My issue is that incrementing the calculated priority by 1 for each day past due is not dramatic enough when using these large numbers. I'd like it to be 100 instead.  Or even, just to get crazy, 100 for each day past deadline and 50 for each day past scheduled due date!

I know that I should be doing this as a user-defined-function for org-agenda-sorting-strategy, but I don't understand how.  The documentation is clear, I'm just not very good with lisp.  So I've copied the function from org.el into my .org file and tweaked it a little.  That's why I'm looking for the part of org.el or whichever file that increases calculated priority according to number of days past deadline.

Thanks,
Inanna

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 2:59 PM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi Inanna,

peregrinehill <address@hidden> writes:

> I would like to make deadlines have a larger impact on priority
> calculation than scheduled date, but I can't figure out how to
> extract how many days before or past deadline from an agenda entry.
>  I would also like to extract how many days overdue a task is from
> its scheduled date.
>
> Is there a function that gives me this information easily?
>
> Alternatively, can anybody point me to where priority is increased by
> 1 for each day late?

I'm not sure where do you want to get this information from:
from an agenda view? from a normal buffer?

What value of `org-agenda-sorting-strategy' comes closest to
what you are trying to achieve?

Let us know,

--
 Bastien