Re: [O] run R code block in the background (currently emacs freezes when

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] run R code block in the background (currently emacs freezes when running code)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 11:31:38 -0500

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 12:09 PM, Xebar Saram <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all. how does one send the eval commands to the when running R code
> blocks to RSS to the  background? currently when i evaluate a long code
> block it freezes Emacs until the process is done. here is an example code
> block i use:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC R :session R1  :results output
> log.sga.270 <- glm(NSGA ~
> IQRfintempmabirth+sinetime+costime+age_centered+age_centered_sq+cig_preg+cig_pre+med_income+p_ospace+gender+prev_400+
> diab+hyper+lungd+diab_other+prevpret+as.factor(kess)+as.factor(MRN)+as.factor(edu_group)+as.factor(byob)+parity,data=bd,family=binomial)
> summary(log.sga.270)
> #+END_SRC

I didn't run this, but have trained machine learning models in the
past which run for a while. You should be able to do C-g to un-freeze
the cursor in Emacs, while the code will still be executed in your R
session. Try doing C-c C-c to start that block, C-g, and then C-x b to
switch to the R1 buffer. You should see that the cursor isn't on a
prompt, which means R is busy, yet you're free to move around in your
org buffer and keep writing or doing whatever you want, even though
the R session is tied up.

Best regards,
John