Re: [O] Export arrays for 'sh' code blocks when using bash

From: Pascal Fleury
Subject: Re: [O] Export arrays for 'sh' code blocks when using bash
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2014 09:44:45 +0200

On Thu, Apr 24, 2014 at 3:23 AM, Eric Schulte <address@hidden> wrote:
Skip Collins <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Pascal Fleury <address@hidden> wrote:
>> (have not used bash3 in quite a long time :-)
>
> Even OS X Mavericks uses bash 3. So it will be around for quite a long time.

I believe Bash 4 is GPLv3 and Bash 3 is GPLv2, so it is very possible
that OSX will never upgrade to the current bash.

If the fix is obvious and simple then it sounds like a win.

I think it should be. It could prod the version the very first time it runs, and use that.

I suppose the argument could be made that an Emacs project should not go
out of it's way to support old versions of software which are
potentially being used only to avoid GPLv3 licensing... but I won't make
that argument here.

Even array support in ob-shell.el is a win for bash3, and as a user of Mac OSX myself, I would not like a project like org-mode to push such pains onto the users especially as here it is a regression for bash3 users.

I'm a bit overbooked these days, I hope you won't mind if it will take a few more days for a fix.

--paf

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte