Re: [O] babel and long-running computations

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] babel and long-running computations
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 10:29:54 -0500

Christoph Groth <address@hidden> writes:

> Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:
>
>>> I’d love to hear about any frameworks or workflows that fulfill these
>>> requirements.
>>
>> here is a link about that topic:
>>
>> ,-----------------------------------------------
>> | http://draketo.de/english/emacs/parallel-babel
>> `-----------------------------------------------
>
> Thanks.  I had found this one myself - this way of working does not seem
> to allow to capture the results of the calculation in orgmode.
>
> So probably a better way is to have some caching machinery in the
> background.  I see that babel has built-in caching but there seems to be
> no way to support dependencies.
>
> Christoph

Hi Christoph,

Currently Babel does not have support for long-running computations,
however this feature has been discussed and there are previous messages
on the mailing list and even some comments in the code outlining a
potential implementation strategy.  So this may change if/when someone
finds the time and drive to tackle the implementation.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte