Re: [O] copying a folded task expands when pasting

From: Thorsten Jolitz
Subject: Re: [O] copying a folded task expands when pasting
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2014 15:59:54 +0200

address@hidden (J. David Boyd) writes:

> Is there anyway to turn this off.
>
> I keep my tasks folded, mostly, except for the current one I am working on.
>
> Prior to archiving, when I've marked them DONE, I move them to the
> bottom of
> the file they are in.
>
> So, I C-w on a folded DONE task, move to the bottom of the file, and
> S-Ins to
> place it there.  But every time it unfolds it, leaving the point at
> the bottom
> of the entry.   Then I need to move back up and refold it.
>
> Minor point yes, but it's the way I like to work.
>
> So, I haven't found any setting that relates to folding/unfolding on
> cut and
> paste.
>
> Am I missing something, or is that just the way it works?

As always, it might already exist in Org-mode/Emacs, but its easy to
implement anyway:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  (defun tj/yank-folded-subtree ()
    (interactive)
    (save-excursion
      (yank '(4))
      (hide-subtree)))
#+end_src

#+results:
: tj/yank-folded-subtree

or a bit more convenient:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
    (defun tj/kill-and-append-folded-subtree ()
      "Kill subtree at point and yank it folded at EOB."
      (interactive)
      (save-excursion
        (org-mark-subtree)
        (when (use-region-p)
          (kill-region (region-beginning) (region-end)))
        (goto-char (point-max))
        (unless (looking-at "^$") (newline))
        (yank '(4))
        (hide-subtree)))