Re: [O] Add TODO from external app?

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: [O] Add TODO from external app?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 14:15:26 -0400

On Wed, Apr 16, 2014 at 12:31 PM, Bastien <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Lawrence,
>
> Lawrence Bottorff <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I've seen various things for interacting with org mode from external
>> apps. I found org-protocol, as well as a Mutt-to-org mode article.
>> Per the tittle, I want to be able to add new TODO items from, say, an
>> email or a PHP-based web page form. Is this just brute force external
>> file manipulation, i.e., e.g., my PHP code would simply open a .org
>> file and concatenate a properly formatted TODO line . . . or are
>> there more sophisticated ways of talking to emacs/org-mode from
>> without?
>
> I'm aware of such sophisticated ways, so for now simply open a .org
> file and write to it.

Emacs can be used as a scripting environment so if you can figure out
how to do it from elisp that might be a more sophisticated way.

That said, one of the beauties of org is that it's just plain text and
the format for a link is pretty darn simple. So I've always just
written to the file using the format.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.