Re: [O] A file with 'org-mode rot'?

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] A file with 'org-mode rot'?
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2014 14:42:48 +0200

Hello,

Karl Voit <address@hidden> writes:

> I am still facing strange behavior and I still do think that we
> need an org-mode-syntax-checker for Org-mode files that cause
> problems.
>
> Example:
>
> | foo | bar | baz |
> |  42 |     |     |
> |  23 |     |     |

I don't understand what a "syntax checker" has to do with it.
Notwithstanding the fact that such a checker assumes all Org obeys to
a single syntax definition, which is what I'm struggling for, but is not
the case actually, it would report, in this case, that syntax is valid.
How would that help?

> It takes seven seconds with 100% CPU core load to move the
> "foo"-column from above from the second column to the first by
> applying ALT-<left>. This is in my main Org-mode file which has got
> 29000 lines.
>
> #+BEGIN_EXAMPLE
> - command-execute                                               29550  99%
>  - call-interactively                                           29550  99%
>   - org-metaleft                                                29469  99%
>    - call-interactively                                         29469  99%
>     - org-table-move-column                                     24559  83%
>        org-table-align                                           9832  33%
>   + byte-code                                                      74   0%
>   + execute-extended-command                                        7   0%
> + yas--post-command-handler                                         6   0%
> + timer-event-handler                                               6   0%
> + ...                                                               0   0%
> #+END_EXAMPLE

I generated a 32000 lines long file and couldn't reproduce the problem.
What Org version are you using?

> Still not possible: org-agenda-list & org-agenda-write to ICS file.
> Org-mode is working hard but is in some kind of endless loop. I
> assume that this also would work when I would change to a small
> Org-mode file. I can test this if it helps.

It would help. So would an ECM for the reported infloop.

Also you can try to set `toggle-debug-on-quit', C-g amid the infloop,
and report the backtrace.

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou