Re: [O] sending emails from org

From: Rainer M Krug
Subject: Re: [O] sending emails from org
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2014 09:53:56 +0200

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

> [...]
>   >questions concerning sending subtrees as emails.  > > 1) Which
>   >properties are supported by org-mime - I could not find a list > or
>   >an example of an email from org.  > > 2) I am using gnus and have the
>   >following hooks to add automatic signing > of emails: > > ,---- > |
>   >#+begin_src emacs-lisp > | (add-hook 'gnus-message-setup-hook
>   >'mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime) > | (add-hook 'message-s'etup-hook
>   >'mml-secure-message-sign-pgpmime) > | #+end_src > `---- > > These
>   >hooks are not called when composing emails in org. Is this on >
>   >purpose, or to gnus specific?  I've found that I have to have some
>   >commands both in '.emacs' and in .gnus', and I use the same code to
>   >sign my emails in gnus. I've never tried writing an email in
>   >org-mode, but if I was I'd tend to use a snippet from YASnippet', or
>   >write my own for it. I've always believed in writing emails in gnus,
>   >and using org-mode for TODOs, documents, etc.
>
>   You probably could have the best of both worlds using outorg.el, which
>   works out of the box with message-mode (although I never tried these
>   signing functions).
>
>   1. get outshine.el and outorg.el (github or melpa)
>
>   2. before loading outline-mode: define outline-minor-mode prefix in
>   .emacs:
>
>   ,----
>   | ;; must be set before outline is loaded
>   | (defvar outline-minor-mode-prefix "\M-#")
>   `----
>

>   or maybe "\C-c".
>

>   1. put this in your .emacs:
>
>   ,----
>   | (require 'outshine) ; has soft dependency to 'outorg
>   |  (add-hook 'outline-minor-mode-hook 'outshine-hook-function)
>   |  (add-hook 'message-mode-hook 'outline-minor-mode)
>   `----
>
>   1. write your emails/posts in message-mode, and switch to full
>      Org-mode
>   with e.g. M-# M-# (M-x outorg-edit-as-org). When there are already
>   Org-mode headlines in the message mode buffer, use C-u M-# M-# to edit
>   the whole buffer in Org-mode, and M-# M-# to edit the subtree at
>   point.
>
>   Use M-# (outorg-copy-edits-and-exit) when you are done in the
>   \*outorg-edit-buffer\*.
>
>   There are several prefix args that allow you to (temporarilly or
>   persistently) insert a template for export options:
>
>         outorg-edit-as-org is an interactive Lisp function in
>         `outorg.el'.
>
>         (outorg-edit-as-org &optional ARG)
>
>         Convert and copy to temporary Org buffer
>
>         With ARG, act conditional on the raw value of ARG:
>
>          prefix  raw  action 1           action 2
>         ------------------------------------------------------------------
>          C-u     (4)  edit-whole-buffer  ---
>          C-1       1  edit-whole-buffer  insert default export-template
>          C-2       2  edit-whole-buffer  ask user for template-file
>          C-3       3  edit-whole-buffer  insert and keep default template
>          C-4       4  edit-whole-buffer  insert and keep template-file

This sounds very interesting and useful and I will definitely try it out
because it sounds like adding many useful features I was missing in
message-mode (I got so used to the org type editing...),

But my reasoning to use org for composing some emails, is that I would
like to have the emails in the project related org file.

But it might be an option to use notmuch links as these are base on the
message id and put these into the org files.

Thanks a lot,

Rainer

>   -- cheers, Thorsten
>

>                                         Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.5h)