Re: [O] Out of Order Evaluation

From: Michael Weylandt
Subject: Re: [O] Out of Order Evaluation
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 14:51:22 -0400

On Mar 20, 2014, at 21:34, Charles Berry <address@hidden> wrote:

> Andreas Leha <andreas.leha <at> med.uni-goettingen.de> writes:
>

>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt <at> gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I want to put a summary of my analysis at the beginning of a document
>>> using results calculated at the end of the document. Is this possible?
>
> [snip]
>

>>> Is this possible in a single pass?
>

> Not quite. The method suggested by Andreas computes the result twice. If
> there is any randomness in the results (as in the example) you will get a
> different answer in the summary than when the block is later evaluated.
>
>>> I've played with #+NAME and
>>> <<block()>> but haven't gotten the out-of-order evaluation quite
>>> right.
>
> You can use
>
> #+results: the-mean
>
> before
>
> #+NAME: the-mean
> #+begin_src R
> mean(x)
> #+end_src
>
> which is after 'theanalysis' block.
>
> And if the format is not pleasing add a filter that reformats the results

Great. The named result block is just what I needed.

> IMO, needing ':exports results' for inline src blocks is a bug not a
> feature.

Agreed, particularly in light of Eric's comments at

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-03/msg00285.html

There's the variable org-babel-inline-header-args, but it seems using

#+PROPERTY: header-args :exports both

overrules/breaks it

Would org want something like

#+PROPERTY: inline-header-args :exports results

Or just 'hard-code' :exports results for all inline blocks?