Re: [O] [BABEL] BUG Re: Omitting try/catch blocks from tangled R code?

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] [BABEL] BUG Re: Omitting try/catch blocks from tangled R code?
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 16:56:29 -0500

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 3:44 AM, Rainer M Krug <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Out of curiosity, is there a consensus that this is the preferred
>>> behavior for tangling by default?
>>
>> There may have been a consensus in a single thread motivated by a single
>> use case, which should not necessarily be a global consensus.
>>
>>> I'm guessing at some point it was decided that the need was preferred
>>> to have these bits inserted before/after code blocks, but just trying
>>> to confirm this. It seems odd to me, at least given R's behavior, that
>>> someone would prefer these bits to show up in the tangled file since
>>> they appeared to serve the purpose of having Org not fail during
>>> export vs. benefitting the code in any way (if I wasn't running code
>>> through R, I'd just get the errors directly).
>>>

>> I'd be happy to add :no-expand to the default R header arguments.  Or
>> even to change this behavior globally, if the current behavior is
>> universally surprising.
>
> I think the default behavior should be reverted, as tangling and
> exporting are two different things. When I tangle, I want to see the
> code blocks as they are in the org document (with possible variables and
> expansions) but not to create files where I do not put it explicitly
> into a code block. These wrappers have nothing to do with the code, and
> are only there for the exported engine. So I would either revert to the
> original behavior, or, introduce a new header argument,
> e.g. :include-wrappers, which would, if set to t, include the export
> wrappers in the tangled file. This might be useful for debugging
> exporting of code block results, but not for general tangling.

Thanks for chiming in. This was my gut reaction to the default
behavior. I guess we're still only a sample size of 2, but
intuitively, I would think that tangling would be a separate beast in
most cases from exporting. Just to have it on the record, if I tangle,
it's usually to take the code I've used in something like a Beamer
presentation or document and combine it into a single .R file so
someone can run it without needing Org-mode.

Re. the :include-wrappers argument, it sounds like :no-expand already
exists for this purpose... I'd just suggest (especially with your
second opinion) that it be the default value vs. having to manually
set it.

Best regards,
John