Re: [O] [patch][ox-html] Stylistic changes

From: Rick Frankel
Subject: Re: [O] [patch][ox-html] Stylistic changes
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 09:49:32 -0400

On 2014-03-17 23:36, Rasmus wrote:
Rick Frankel <address@hidden> writes:

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 11:19:27PM +0100, Rasmus wrote:
Hi Rick,

Rick Frankel <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 03:17:10AM +0100, Bastien wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>> > So if the change is only stylistic, I see no reason to break
>> > compatibility with "ox-freemind.el".
>
>> I would favor a solution where the HTML backend uses what's
>> readable (&mdash; and friends) and where the Freemind backend
>> deals with this.
>>
>> Maybe `org-html-special-string-regexps' could be a variable
>> and Freemind could temporarily set it up to what it needs?
>
> The use of numeric vs. named entities is not just stylistic.
> XHMTL[45] only support the 5 basic named entities interally:
>
>           - &amp; - the ampersand &
>           - &quot; - the double quote "
>           - &apos; single quote '
>           - &lt; - less-than <
>           - &gt; - greater-than >
>
> So including any others will generate non-conforming output.
> Since the change is cosmetic, I don't see the purpose in adding a lot
> of conditional code to the exporter to output different entities for
> html[45] vs xhtml[45].

AFAIK, we have a lot more entities in org-entities with &PRETTY-NAME;.
When I've entities I've used a pretty name over a numeric value when I
found one.  What's you'r opinion on that?  Should we go for readable
or aim towards replacing them with these numeric values?

We should use only those named entities (above) which are valid in
xhtml(5). So, yes, we should change to using numeric entites for any
other than the above.

Since Emacs knows both the codepoints and the hex for utf8 entities it
may be fairly simple to change the HTML representations, though I
don't like it. . .

When you refer above to "utf-8 entities", do you mean the named html
entities (e.g., &lt;) or the actual utf-8 encoded characters?

I believe the named entities are encoding independent, while including
encoded characters in html output is fine -- although making sure the
page is served with the correct character encoding is another issue
entirely.

As to using a more extensive set of named entities, as i said above,
the problem is that the xhtml flavors don't support them, and I don't
see any advantage in making the exporter handle character encoding
differently based on ouput doctype.

As Nicolas would point out, you can always use a filter to map all the
entities in the output.

rick