Re: [O] babel completion notification

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] babel completion notification
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 18:03:36 -0400

Ken Mankoff <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> On 2014-03-17 at 17:05, Eric Schulte wrote:
>> Ken Mankoff <address@hidden> writes:
>>
>>> Until asynchronous babel exists, it would be nice to at least be
>>> notified when long-running tasks complete. Does anyone have advice
>>> how to set up a hook on babel completion so that growl or some
>>> other system notification alerts, perhaps only if the execution
>>> took more than x seconds?
>>
>> You can use the org-babel-after-execute-hook to run any action after a
>> code block finishes executing.
>
> Yes, and your reply makes me recall that :post works too, so I can
> call a shell command "notifier" (or Growl) like this:
>
> #+BEGIN_SRC python -n :results output :post (shell-command-to-string
> "notifier 'babel done'")
> print "hello, world"
> #+END_SRC
> #+RESULTS:

The :post method does not seem to work for me. With:

#+BEGIN_SRC sh :results output  :post (shell-command-to-string "popup.py babel
done")
sleep 10
echo DONE
#+END_SRC

(popup.py is my homemade notifier) I get the popup immediately and the
results after 10 seconds.  The org-babel-after-execute-hook method
worked fine.

Nick