Re: [O] Remove redundant tags of headlines

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] Remove redundant tags of headlines
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 17:17:05 +0100

Hi Bastien,

>> ** TODO Project A                                       :FLAGGED:
>> *** TODO Task 1                                         :FLAGGED:
>>
>> Of course, "FLAGGED" is present in the headline but, at the same time,
>> it is inherited.
>
> It means Org favors explicit tags over inherited ones when presenting
> them through `org-entry-get'.

Yes, that's what I thought. That makes sense.

>> IIUC, the goal of the function written by David was to remove redundant
>> tags. In the above case, "FLAGGED" should be removed from "Task 1"
>> because it is superfluous (redundant with its parent entry).
>
> Can you find when David's function was still functional for you?

No, and, honestly, I won't try, because I remember seeing that not
functioning for a very long time, certainly well above 1 year. And so
many things changed in my config (Emacs, Org mode) and in Org mode, that
I'm not sure at all to come back to a previously working state -- if it
did [1].

>> I'd think that asking for all tags of "Task 1" should output both
>> a local "FLAGGED" tag and an inherited "FLAGGED" one.
>
> Well, ALLTAGS means all distinct tags for me, and I don't see how
> outputting all duplicate tags would be useful.

Well, here, it would be useful that ALLTAGS would really report ALL
TAGS... (even if it wasn't its default behavior)

> You'll have to find another use-case than just David's function to
> convince me :)

Then, I won't.  But such a cleaning (in `before-save-hook') is not
possible, then?

Best regards,
  Seb

[1] I can't exclude that my mind would play me tricks.

--
Sebastien Vauban