Re: [O] Bug in export of call lines

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] Bug in export of call lines
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 19:40:27 -0600

address@hidden (Thomas S. Dye) writes:

> Hi Eric,
>
> Eric Schulte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> This actually is also an issue with shell code blocks.  The fix is to
>> customize the org-babel-inline-result-wrap variable (e.g., as follows)
>> instead of setting the result type to RAW.
>>
>>   (setq org-babel-inline-result-wrap "%s")
>>
>> Perhaps a note about this variable should be added to the description of
>> inline code blocks (both call and src_*) in the manual.
>
> AFAICT, this variable has no effect on export of calls to R source code
> blocks, where the source code block is set with :results raw.

Correct, however I believe the following should give the behavior you're
after no?

First set the inline result wrap.
#+begin_src emacs-lisp :results silent
  (setq org-babel-inline-result-wrap "%s")
#+end_src

* Desirable newline behavior

The call_r1() should not export with a newline.

#+name: r1
#+begin_src R
2
#+end_src

> Also, AFAICT, the behavior of R source code blocks differs from others,
> including shell.

* Undesirable newline behavior
  :PROPERTIES:
  :results:  raw
  :END:

Both of these *do* introduce undesirable newlines.  A shell code block
call_shell2() and an R code block call_R2().

#+name: shell2
#+begin_src sh
echo 2
#+end_src

#+name: R2
#+begin_src R
2
#+end_src

> With the default value of org-babel-inline-result-wrap I get this
> LaTeX
> export:
>
>   \section{Export this subtree raw to \LaTeX{}}
>   \label{sec-1}
>   Will shell-2 export 2 with a newline?
>
>   Will r-2 export 2 with a newline?
>
>   Will shell-2-raw export 2 with a newline?
>
>   Will r-2-raw export 2
>    with a newline?
>   \section{Export this subtree without raw to \LaTeX{}}
>   \label{sec-2}
>
>   Will shell-2 export \texttt{2} with a newline?
>
>   Will r-2 export \texttt{2} with a newline?
>
>   Will shell-2-raw export \texttt{2} with a newline?
>
>   \begin{verbatim}
>   Will r-2-raw export 2
>   \end{verbatim}
>   with a newline?
>   % Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.5h)
>
> With org-babel-inline-result-wrap set to "%s" I get this:
>
>   \section{Export this subtree raw to \LaTeX{}}
>   \label{sec-1}
>   Will shell-2 export 2 with a newline?
>
>   Will r-2 export 2 with a newline?
>
>   Will shell-2-raw export 2 with a newline?
>
>   Will r-2-raw export 2
>    with a newline?
>   \section{Export this subtree without raw to \LaTeX{}}
>   \label{sec-2}
>
>   Will shell-2 export 2 with a newline?
>
>   Will r-2 export 2 with a newline?
>
>   Will shell-2-raw export 2 with a newline?
>
>   \begin{verbatim}
>   Will r-2-raw export 2
>   \end{verbatim}
>   with a newline?
>   % Emacs 24.3.1 (Org mode 8.2.5h)
>
> Note that there is no change in the LaTeX export of the R calls.
>
> I think this is a bug in ob-R.el.  From my experiments, it behaves
> differently than the other babel languages, including shell.
>
> For LaTeX export, the workaround is to avoid :results raw with R source
> code blocks. Although a spurious newline is inserted into the source,
> this is ignored by LaTeX.

I think it is allowable for raw results to include newlines.  After if R
returns a newline, the purpose of raw results is specifically to *not*
change the result.  I believe the best approach is to customize the
inline results wrap as above, and then use non-raw processed results
when inline results without newlines are desired.

Does this sound reasonable?

Best,

--
Eric Schulte