Re: [O] [RFC] Proposal for rebindings in Org 8.3

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [O] [RFC] Proposal for rebindings in Org 8.3
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 14:07:41 -0400

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> | Key   | Command                           | Proposal         | Status |
> |-------+-----------------------------------+------------------+--------|
> | C-c # | Checkboxes                        | C-c x            | Free   |
> | C-c ~ | Cooperation                       | C-c C-~          | Free   |
> | C-c , | Priorities                        | C-c C-,          | Free   |
> | C-c ? | Editing and debugging formulas    | C-c C-?          | Free   |
> | C-c ! | Creating timestamps               | C-c C-!          | Free   |

I tried C-c C-! in my environment, and it fails, no noticing the C-!
(which involves shift) keypress (with ^H k; I get it that this is
proposed).  I have C-1 bound in my window manager to switch desktops,
since that binding doesn't take away the ability to generate any ASCII
character.

I'm running "emacs -nw" under tmux on one machine (netbsd), connected
via ssh from a mac using Terminal.

While one can argue that various emulations are broken, org should be
fully usable with a 7-bit terminal connection, and non-kludgy with an
8-bit connection.  In general, I find that emacs works fine with that,
although one has to prefix with ESC instead of the meta key.

I've always been bothered by keybindings like C-S-left, which while
useful, cause there to be no available keystroke sequence to perform the
function.

I find this surprising; I'd expect within emacs/org culture there to be
more people using terminal-mode emacs.