Re: [O] link interfering with brackets when abbreviated

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] link interfering with brackets when abbreviated
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2014 20:02:51 +0100

Hello,

Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Count me in -- this is a regression that needs to be fixed.
>
> Nicolas, any stronger objection than the one your already
> expressed?

As I said, the "end of line" is not a structural unit. Implementing that
"feature", which, I must admit, I find cheesy, back will be fragile and
confusing.

For example, white spaces after an object still belong to an object. So
in the following case:

  [[http://orgmode.org]]   [[http://duckduckgo.com]]

using C-c C-o between the two links will open the first one, but there:

  [[http://orgmode.org]] and [[http://duckduckgo.com]]

C-c C-o on the "and" will open the second one.

Also in the following example:

  [fn:1] This is some text [[http://orgmode.org]]

C-c C-o on "some" currently triggers `org-footnote-action' since point
is in a footnote definition. But with the behaviour you describe, it
would be hard to predict whether it should move to the link or still
open the footnote.

There are many other examples. This "convenient feature" is
unpredictable and not worth implementing back (not counting the fact
that it wouldn't be totally trivial to do properly).

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou