Re: [O] LaTeX export: Handle hash symbol in footnote url links

From: Vladimir Lomov
Subject: Re: [O] LaTeX export: Handle hash symbol in footnote url links
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2014 20:14:08 +0900

Hello,
** Michael Bach [2014-02-21 11:52:14 +0100]:

> Dear org-mode Devs and Users,

> I am trying to export the following snippet

> #+BEGIN_ORG
> * LaTeX export of url with hash symbol

> The Org mode export facilities can be used to export Org documents or
> parts of Org documents to a variety of other formats.[fn:1]

> * Footnotes

> [fn:1] [[http://orgmode.org/org.html#Exporting]]
> #+END_ORG

> Now the exported .tex file contains the link as
> : \footnote{\url{http://orgmode.org/org.html#Exporting}}

> Which LaTeX does not like:
> : Illegal parameter number in definition of address@hidden

> FWIW, there is a workaround for the percent symbol described on SO[1]
> using `\urldef` - but this does not work with the hash symbol.

> Is there another workaround/solution that works with org-mode?

Hash (#), as well as several other symbols have to be espaced when used
as is in LaTeX documents. See, for example, "The Not So Short
Introduction to LaTeX2e", 1.3.2 Special Characters. In general it is
duty of ox-latex (LaTeX export backend) to espace such characters.

> [1] bit.ly/1cwYJaM

---
WBR, Vladimir Lomov

--
God grant us the serenity to accept the things we cannot change, courage to
change the things we can, and wisdom to know the difference.