Re: [O] verbatim and apostrophes

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] verbatim and apostrophes
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 07:27:32 -0500

Alan Schmitt <address@hidden> writes:

> Hello Samuel,
>
> Samuel Wales <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> org-emphasis-regexp-components
>
> Thank you for the suggestion. I'm trying to make sense of it:
>
> org-emphasis-regexp-components is a variable defined in `org.el'.
> Its value is ("       ('\"{" "-       .,:!?;'\")}\\" "
> ,\"'" "." 1)
>
> Documentation:
> Components used to build the regular expression for emphasis.
> This is a list with five entries.  Terminology:  In an emphasis string
> like " *strong word* ", we call the initial space PREMATCH, the final
> space POSTMATCH, the stars MARKERS, "s" and "d" are BORDER characters
> and "trong wor" is the body.  The different components in this variable
> specify what is allowed/forbidden in each part:
>
> pre          Chars allowed as prematch.  Beginning of line will be allowed
> too.
> post         Chars allowed as postmatch.  End of line will be allowed too.
> border       The chars *forbidden* as border characters.
> body-regexp  A regexp like "." to match a body character.  Don't use
>              non-shy groups here, and don't allow newline here.
> newline      The maximum number of newlines allowed in an emphasis exp.
>
> You need to reload Org or to restart Emacs after customizing this.
>
> I see that "body-regexp" is "." so the problem is not from there. I also
> see that "'" is forbidden as a border character, which should be fine in
> my case as I'm using "~". So is the problem that "'" is both in prematch
> and postmatch? But in my case I use it as a body character.
>
> So I'm afraid I don't understand why the "'" in ~'a ref~ is not accepted
> as a body character, and what I should do to make sure it is.

See if

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/73036/match=org+emphasis+regexp+components

can help make some sense out of the line noise (although it was
triggered by a different question). I believe the problem here is
the BORDER regexp (the one that goes

"
,\"'"

above), not the BODY one: it forbids newlines, commas, double
and single quotes. Try deleting the single quote from it.

--
Nick