Re: [O] terminal emulators

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: [O] terminal emulators
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 21:18:17 +0100

Gregor Zattler writes:
> I never used a terminal emulator which would let me use
> Shift-Control key combos.  Actually I would be very interested in
> working Shift-Ctrl key combos.

I'm not sure when and where I've had that working or I may be
misremembering another combination.  In any case, in konsole
Ctrl-Shift-. is a Hotkey and can be mapped to Ctrl-:, so whatever
application uses the terminal never gets to see that combo anyway.
Similarly in GNOME a lot of the Ctrl-Shift plane is taken up by standard
shortcuts (which you will have to disable first).  In any case, to make
it work you'd need to switch the terminal mode so that it communicates
the modifier keys out-of-band (as CSI escape sequences AFAIK) to the
application.  There's no way to have it in normal mode and be able to
send Ctrl-Shift anything since there simply aren't any codings for this.
In XTerm this can be controlled via the modifyKeys resource IIRC.  There
are other modes like the old X10 terminal mode that synthesize key
events, too.

> You are able to type C-: in an emacs running in a terminal emulator?

Right now, no.  I haven't configured this in years and thankfully it has
been even longer I've had to program through an actual serial line (at
1200baud Emacs isn't going to work well and you're very thankful for a
vi, BTW).

Regards,
Achim.

Wavetables for the Terratec KOMPLEXER: