Re: [O] org-dblock-write:count

From: Sebastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [O] org-dblock-write:count
Date: Mon, 10 Feb 2014 10:50:58 +0100

Hi Adam,

Adam Spiers wrote:
> I just had an awesome conversation with Sacha about more effective
> daily/weekly reviewing with org-mode :-)  One of the things we talked
> about was quantifying the number of tasks (TODO keywords) in any given
> state, as a means of becoming more aware of your progress over time.
> I have had some success in the past using the "measure what you want
> to manage maxim"[1], and wanted to start applying this to my horribly
> massive TODO.org file.
>
> [...]
>
>     #+BEGIN:dynamic block
>     #+BEGIN: count :keywords (\"NEXT\" \"DONE\") :searches (\"@phone\"
> \"@home\")
>     | NEXT       | 522 |
>     | DONE       |  69 |
>     | @phone     |  77 |
>     | @home      | 182 |
>     #+END:
>
> [...]

To me, the best thing would be to see that count up-to-date with every
custom agenda view.

See http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2013-09/msg01075.html
for a patch I proposed in that direction.

However, I had some comments of Bernt saying that some edge cases are
not covered (when the block separator is empty). I still have to fix
that, and come back with a fully working solution.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban