Re: [O] Proposal/request for input: slidify export for html slides

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Proposal/request for input: slidify export for html slides
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 23:51:55 -0600

On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 11:38 PM, John Hendy <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 7, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Charles Berry <address@hidden> wrote:

[snip]

> I'll look into those. I just cloned your repo and loaded ox-ravel.
> Quite nice! It worked /pretty/ well out of the box. One issue is that
> it doesn't seem to obey :eval no for babel blocks. I exported to .Rmd
> successfully, but the presentation has a bunch of errors in the code
> blocks from trying to actually execute the code. The .Rmd doesn't have
> any instances of ```{r eval=F}; could this feature be added?

Just kidding. Discovered #+attr_ravel and the proper knitr argument
for code chunks, which worked as expected with:

#+attr_ravel: eval=F
#+begin_src R ...

I still think it makes sense to allow :eval no. This seems more
"Org-ish" since the ideology is to have one set of Org syntax where
possible, which translates to any number of languages. I get that we
have #+attr_latex for latex-only things, #+attr_html for html-only
things, and so on, but I wouldn't consider :eval to fall into this
category. Or perhaps I don't understand... would the idea be that I
don't want to run it in *Org*, but I'd not want all my chunks disabled
in the .Rmd?

My workflow might be odd in that I tend to futz with plot parameters
once, get the desired image, and then set :eval no for the rest of my
document work so I don't have to wait for plots on iterative exports.
I try to put all my setup code (load packages, data
reading/manipulation, etc.) in it's own block so that I can easily run
that whenever I first open the document. From there I only need to
re-run a plot block if necessary and I'll just temporarily change
:eval no -> yes and then back again after execution.

Thanks again,
John