Re: [O] Behavior of Org mode Babel code snippets with respect to M-q (fi

From: Omid
Subject: Re: [O] Behavior of Org mode Babel code snippets with respect to M-q (fill-paragraph) and C-/ (undo)
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 18:02:51 -0500

Hello Nick,

Thanks for your quick reply. The variable
org-edit-src-content-indentation does indeed have to do with the
indentation I was referring to. But it is relative. According to the
documentation, it sets the "Indentation for the content of a source
code block. This should be the number of spaces added to the
indentation of the #+begin line in order to compute the indentation of
the block content after editing it with M-x org-edit-src-code. Has no
effect if `org-src-preserve-indentation' is non-nil." I wonder if one
can set it to be zero as an absolute value, meaning that if the a line
of code in the source block starts at column n of the buffer, it is
left at column n after M-q.

Regarding the behavior you observe, as I said I get that too from time
to time. In fact, doing M-q on my own example in a fresh Org mode
buffer, I now get what you get:

  #+BEGIN_SRC f90 :results verbatim :exports both
  program main ! This is a very very very very very very very very very
  very very very very very very very long comment line. print *, "Hello,
  World!" end program main
  #+END_SRC

I don't have any special settings for the f90 mode in my .emacs. In
fact, I have observed the same behavior for other languages too when
edited in an Org source block. The "destructive" nature of this
behavior is very special (C-/ (undo) doesn't work). Many a times, I
have tried refilling a line of comments and ended up with a huge mix
of code and comment that was impossible to undo (at least to the best
of my knowledge) and I had to either revert the change if I had the
file under version control, go to an auto backup file, or painfully and
manually separate the code and comments to get back the original code
block.

Omid