Re: [O] Preservation of white space in babel blocks, exporting to PDF

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Preservation of white space in babel blocks, exporting to PDF
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 2014 09:59:05 -0600

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 2:45 AM, Nicolas Goaziou <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Thus, I take it that the default org setting is non-nil?
>
> Actually this is an Emacs variable, and it is indeed non-nil.

Gotcha. So if it interferes with org-src-preserve-indentation, that's
good to know. I'm assuming that was the change you recently pushed per
the last note.

>> I am a bit frustrated by trying to be as clear as I could about the
>> situation with reproducible examples, and then finding out the behavior was
>> apparently obvious, but due to a variable I didn't know existed...
>
> The behaviour is not obvious.

Sorry, what I meant is that at no point in our dialog did you seem
surprised by my outcomes. First, you simply said you couldn't
reproduce. Then you said the issue was because I was /using/ tabs (vs.
spaces). When I disagreed, you clarified that saying I was /using/
tabs had really meant I had indent-tabs-mode set to non-nil. From my
non-mastery of Org/emacs perspective, it appeared you knew what was
going on, but revealed it in layers to me.

>> I'll try a fresh pull tomorrow as well as looking at indent-tabs-mode.
>
> This should hopefully work. It should also work if you don't change this
> variable but set `org-src-preserve-indentation' to a non-nil value,
> since I fixed that.
>
> Note that you can set this variable on a per-block basis with "-i" flag:
>
>   #+BEGIN_SRC python -i
>   #+END_SRC

Awesome. Tried both methods, both of which work exactly as I'd have hoped!
- Putting =(setq org-src-preserve-indentation t)= in .emacs
- No setting for the above variable, but using =-i= in the src block

Thanks so much! This has perplexed me for a really long time, but I've
never looked into it. I'm giving my first more "major" talk at a local
event (talking about R + geo-spatial data as well as Shiny interactive
web-apps), and wanted my code to look nice and pretty. Many thanks for
enabling that!!

I'll be on the lookout for somewhere on Worg where I can add the new
documentation if you haven't done so already.

Best regards,
John