Re: [O] Assistance with patching instructions on Worg

From: Josiah Schwab
Subject: Re: [O] Assistance with patching instructions on Worg
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 14:23:56 -0800

address@hidden writes:

> emacs doc/org.texi
>
> [make changes to documentation]
>
> git commit -m "Update documentation to org-src-preserve-indentation."
>
> git format-patch master
>
> But no files were generated... Am I doing something incorrectly?

Yes.  You need to explicitly add your changes to the index.

  git add doc/org.text

then git commit -m "message" will behave as you expect.

(Using "git commit -a" worked, because that is like doing a "git add" to
all modified files.)

It sounds like you misunderstand what "git add" does.  If you read a
little bit more about git workflows, I think it will make sense to you.

Perhaps the following link would be useful:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3689838/difference-between-head-working-tree-index-in-git

Hope that helps,
Josiah