Re: [O] Assistance with patching instructions on Worg

From: John Hendy
Subject: Re: [O] Assistance with patching instructions on Worg
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 15:58:31 -0600

On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 3:50 PM, Thomas S. Dye <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> John Hendy <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Greetings,
>>

>> I've only contributed to Worg, not the Org manual. I want to submit a
>> change to the documentation per an earlier discussion.[1] I'm
>> attempting to follow the Worg suggestion for submitting patches.[2]
>>
>> Here was my process
>>
>> cd ~/.elisp/org.git
>> git pull
>> make clean && make
>>
>> git branch org-src-preserve-whitespace
>> git checkout org-src-preserve-whitespace
>>
>> emacs doc/org.texi
>>
>> [make changes to documentation]
>>
>> git commit -m "Update documentation to org-src-preserve-indentation."
>>
>> git format-patch master
>
> Here is what I do:
>
>  1. commit your changes to your local copy of the org-mode repository
>
>  2. run the following command to wrap up the latest commit on your
>        local copy of the repository into a file which can be attached
>        to email messages
>
>            git format-patch -o ~/temp/ HEAD~1
>
>        after the command finished you will notice a new file in ~/temp
>        with a name like 0001-commit-message-stuff.patch

I can try that, though I'll have to try and figure out how to "un git
commit -am" my file so that I can see if it works with just having
done "git commit -m". Otherwise, I'll just futz with another file and
try your process.

Based on the Worg instructions... is your way preferred, or was
anything wrong with my process such that Worg's instructions *should
have* worked? It seems that they wouldn't work as-is, so if that's the
case, I'll update Worg with the best practice per the list's input.

John