Re: [O] org-mode + icicles, avoid key binding redefinitions?

From: Iannis Zannos
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode + icicles, avoid key binding redefinitions?
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2014 22:13:30 +0200

Agree.
To do my own rebindings i use this kind of code:

(eval-after-load 'org
'(define-key org-mode-map (kbd "C-c C-=") 'org-icicle-imenu))

But when re-opening a buffer with desktop after rebooting emacs, the new bindings are not added

IZ

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 10:06 PM, Andreas Leha <address@hidden> wrote:
Bastien <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi Nick,
>
> Nick Dokos <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> I find myself more in agreement with Seb than with Bastien here. The
>> argument that reducing the number of "bad" bindings reduces the chance
>> of conflicts does not hold water IMO: we will always have to be looking
>> in the rear-view mirror for some minor mode that will step on us.
>
> In the last ten years, we had only *one* such problem while having a
> dozen of faulty keybindings --- my hope is that, with only a fistful
> of faulty keybindings, we won't have to look in the rear-view mirror
> for the next twenty years :)  [IOW: I don't buy the all-or-nothing
> reasoning.]

I might be missing something here.  But I think it would not be a
problem for Bastien (and others with similar preferences) to rebind the
keys to the shorter and potentially problematic version.  So to me it
seems, that the only problem with making the default keybindings less
'offensive' is finding non-taken and non-offensive keybindings.

The question is whether Org could do something to make rebinding keys
easier?  Like a worg page / FAQ about 'getting the old keybindings
back', maybe?

Just my 2ct, of course.
- Andreas