Re: [O] [bug][ox-latex] Captions in equations

From: Rasmus
Subject: Re: [O] [bug][ox-latex] Captions in equations
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2014 15:35:09 +0100

Nicolas,

>> OK.  I can prepare a patch.
>
> Great. Thank you.
>
>> In LaTeX the floating would be kind of odd, I think.  At the very
>> least math floats shouldn't be Figure or Tables (IMO); unfortunately
>> the Internets seem to suggest that you usually create additional
>> floats via packages such as newfloat of "caption".  HTML should also
>> be considered...
>
> IIRC there is a "caption" package that can add captions to objects
> without making them floats. We could support it, but without requiring
> that package by default.

Attached is a simple patch that works by silently drops the caption in
a sneaky way.  I didn't experience any problems when testing it, but
you might have more insights as to whether this approach have latent
issues.

I think we had the discussion with leaving out packages earlier, when
discussing things like wrap-float etc.  As I recall, the consensus was
to include the necessary packages.  Thus, I think solution (iii) would
require adding caption to the default package alist.  Caption is a
package that's very good, so I wouldn't mind it.  But, I'm still not
convinced that non-floating caption for equation is the correct
behavior.

–Rasmus

--
ツ