Re: [O] \200\231 showing in org-mode post

From: Sharon Kimble
Subject: Re: [O] \200\231 showing in org-mode post
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2014 16:22:54 +0000

On Wed, 22 Jan 2014 08:28:46 -0500
Nick Dokos <address@hidden> wrote:

> Sharon Kimble <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > When pasting from an article on the web into an org-mode buffer, I
> > start with -
> > "In today’s digital age, we are needing more and more passwords to
> > secure our data and our identity."
> > and its displayed in the buffer as -
> > "In todayâ\200\231s digital age, we are needing more and more
> > passwords to secure our data and our identity."
> >

> Is your org-mode buffer in UTF-8 (does it show a U at the left end of
> the modeline)? I would expect this behavior only when the org-mode
> buffer is in some 7- or 8-bit mode (ASCII or iso-8859-1).

Yes.

> The apostrophe above is a "typographic apostrophe" (Unicode U+2019).
> If I copy the "today’s" part from above into a file foo.txt and I open
> the file in emacs using UTF-8 as the coding system, it shows as an
> apostrophe. If I open it using iso-8859-1, it shows as
> "todayâ\200\231s".
>
> If I look at the file with a binary editor (od -c on Linux) I get:
>
> ,----
> | $ od -c apostrophe-utf8.txt
> | 0000000   t   o   d   a   y 342 200 231   s  \n
> | 0000012
> `----
>
> So it's probably just encoding confusion between the different
> programs that you use.
>
> > I'm using 'simpleclip' which allows me to use 'super-c
> > simpleclip-copy' as the keybinding.
> >
> > In my .emacs I have -
> > (setq selection-coding-system 'utf-8)
> > (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8)
> > (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
> > with 'LANG=en_GB.UTF-8' being the first line in my locale settings.
> >
> > How do I get it please that it pastes correctly from the desktop
> > clipboard, and how do I get what is already pasted, and shows the
> > aberrant behaviour, corrected please?
> >

> If you just open the file in UTF-8, does the ugliness go away?

I don't know how to do that, sorry.

But, when I went through my foo.org file correcting them all, they all
seemed to be either ' or " . So I had a look in my .emacs and found
that I was using -
;; Turn ' and " into ‘posh’ “quotes”
;;(setq org-export-with-smart-quotes t)

so I commented it out as you can see, and I'm now just carrying on as
normal and just waiting to see if that clears it up.

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, emacs 24.3.50.1
Registered Linux user 561944