Re: [O] Buffer local alias?

From: Eric S Fraga
Subject: Re: [O] Buffer local alias?
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2014 08:51:49 +0000

> Andreas Leha <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

>> I know that this problem is a problem of balancing backward
>> compatibility with new features, better design, etc and cannot be
>> solved.  And I see the win in (most of) the breaking changes.

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment expressed here.  Despite the
difficulties I have had resurrecting some LP org documents recently, the
benefits of the continual developments to org + babel are clear.

[...]

"Thomas S. Dye" <address@hidden> writes:

> Perhaps one way to deal with this is to have the Org mode literate
> programming (reproducible research) file choose which version of
> Org-mode to use.  Something like the following?
>
>   #+name: org-mode-version
>   #+begin_src sh
>   cd path/to/org-mode-git-repo
>   git checkout rev
>   #+end_src
>
>   # Local Variables:
>   # eval: (and (fboundp 'org-sbe) (not (fboundp 'sbe)) (fset 'sbe 'org-sbe))
>   # eval: (sbe "org-mode-version")
>   # eval: (org-reload t)
>   # End:
>
> I haven't the faintest idea if this is a "good idea" or a snake pit of
> potential problems. Is the idea worth experimenting with?

Very much so.  One of my recent fights with org was due to finally
getting back reviewers' comments on a paper I had submitted almost a
year ago.  If I had had an automatic link to the correct version of org,
the one that matched my document, it would have made things much
easier.  Obviously, I could have done this manually and probably should
have.

However, I think it may be quite difficult to automate what you are
proposing...

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.1, Org release_8.2.4-322-gece429