Re: [O] No ODT export option

From: Nick Dokos
Subject: Re: [O] No ODT export option
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2014 11:05:16 -0500

Hendrik Boom <address@hidden> writes:

> On Mon, 13 Jan 2014 15:07:30 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote a message with
> confusing typos
>
>> On Fri, 10 Jan 2014 11:32:55 -0500, Ista Zahn wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Ken,
>>>
>>> ODT export isn't enabled by default. You can enable it by putting
>>>
>>> (require 'ox-odt)
>>>
>>> in your config file and restart emacs.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Ista
>>
>> I'm having this problem on Debian testing, but not on Debian stable.
>> I have installed the org-mode package on both systems.
>>
>> Inserting (require 'ox-odt) at the end of my  !/.emacs file gives me
>     ~/.emacs, not !/.emacs
>> Warning (initialization): An error occurred while loading `/home/
>> hendrik/.emacs':
>>
>> File error: Cannot open load file, ox-odt
>>
>> To ensure normal operation, you should investigate and remove the cause
>> of the error in your initialization file.  Start Emacs with the
>> `--debug-init' option to view a complete error backtrace.
>>
>> so it doesn't look as if it worked.
>>
>> For the record, there is a  /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/org-mode/
>> ox-odt.el file.
>>
>> Also, export to html works, presumably using the ox-html.el file in that
>> same directory, and I don't have to say (require 'ox-odt).
>   Of course I meant not having to say (require 'ox-html).
>>  I'd presume
>> that file is found by the same mechanism, so not finding ox-odt by
>> default is a bit of a puzzle.
>>
>> The Debian testing system, which works, has similar files in teh same
>> place, but their names start with org- instead of ox-

That means it is using org-7.x, probably the org that came with whatever
emacs package Debian distributes. If you are installing packages from
Debian repos, that's probably the best that you can expect. If you
(think you) are installing from the orgmode git repo, there is probably
something wrong.

Emacs provides tools to figure out where things are coming from: C-h f
on a function name tells you which file the function came from, e.g.

C-h f org-html-export-as-html RET

,----
| org-html-export-as-html is an interactive Lisp function in
| `ox-html.el'.
`----

M-x locate-library RET ox-html RET tells you where emacs would load the
ox-html library would be loaded from.

There are more nuances and more tools but these should be enough to start with.

Nick