Re: [O] working on cloud

From: Brett Viren
Subject: Re: [O] working on cloud
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2014 10:28:43 -0500

David Belohrad <address@hidden> writes:

> 1) privacy: you're basically giving your data to somebody else. In case
>    of emacs init there is no danger. In case of your org data, which
>    might contain sensitive information you want to encrypt it, what
>    complicates matter when switching between two win/lin machines

An alternative to consider is btsync.  It will provide you similar
functionality as Dropbox but removes reliance on a central server which
is outside your control.  All storage endpoints are peers.  Peers are
authorized by a shared key so only your machines, or maybe your friends
get access - it's not an anonymous p2p system despite the "bt" in its
name.  You can also allow read-only access.  Even with no "well known"
server involved I've yet to find a case where peers can not be located
behind firewalls or NAT'ed routers.

Of course, btsync brings it's own issues.  The main one for me is that
it's not Free Software (it is a free-of-charge binary) but then the
server side of Dropbox is even more restricted.  I guess let your own
conscience be the guide here.

Personally, I go the git/github route for .emacs files and a private git
repo for org files.  I would like to not have the (explicit)
commit/push/pull steps for org files and so have been testing btsync.
Ideally there would be some way to marry the benefits of both, but I've
yet to come up with one.

-Brett.