Re: [O] Authorship and copyright of derived exporters

From: vilibald
Subject: Re: [O] Authorship and copyright of derived exporters
Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2014 14:11:34 +0100

> Hi,
>
> I've been wondering, whom to put on the copyright line and author: lines
> in a derived exporter.
>
> For example, I have an exporter derived from the LaTeX backend which
> basically is:
>
> - the (org-export-define-derived-backend ...) call
> - a renamed copy of org-latex-template modified by adding
>   - five lines of comment
>   - five times three lines of code
> - a copy of the end-user functions of the LaTeX exporter,
>   - the functions renamed for the derived exporter
>   - 'latex inside them replaced for the derived exporter
> - a couple of comment lines explaining the derived exporter
>

> On the other side, I have another derived exporter (from the HTML
> backend, this time) with way more of I've written myself,  but still the
> end-user functions of the html backend (-export-as-html,
> -convert-regino-to-html, -export-to-html, and -publish-to-html) copied,
> renamed and 'html replaced inside those functions.
>

> Should I copy the authors of the backends I derived from into my
> file(s)?  I'd rather not leave them out, but, on the other hand, maybe
> they don't want to be associated with my sometimes paltry attempts at
> coding.
>
> Thank you very much for your advice.
>
> Best regards
> Robert

Hi Robert,
I'm actually in similar position, I've created an exporter to dokuwiki and
creole formats, and looking at the contrib/lisp/ox-* files it seems that
nobody is mentioning original backend authors I'd say that if it is new
backend although derived than there's no need to mention them as you are
using it more like library functions

Best regards
Vilibald