[O] [RFC] About `org-export-with-\(fixed-width\|tables\)'

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: [O] [RFC] About `org-export-with-\(fixed-width\|tables\)'
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 21:36:24 +0100

Hello,

At the moment, `org-export-with-fixed-width' and
`org-export-with-tables' (or their OPTIONS equivalent ::t and |:t) are
broken when not set to their default value. Also, "fixing" them is not
trivial. I think this is a good time to ponder about their usefulness.

Indeed, I don't think anyone would want to remove tables (or fixed-width
areas) from Org syntax. These variables were probably written because
tables and fixed-width can occasionally get in the way, on very specific
lines.

However, Org already provides ways to work around such problems. For
example, a table can be wrapped within an example block, or an offending
line can start with \vert instead of "|".

Therefore, in today's Org, they don't make much sense anymore. As
a consequence, I'd like to either:

  1. Remove them completely from code base;

  2. Change their meaning so they behave like `org-export-with-toc' or
     `org-export-with-tags', that is: when `org-export-with-tables' is
     set to nil, all tables are ignored during export.

I don't think option 2 is really useful, but I don't mind either way.

WDYT?

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou