[O] ("Cannot open load file" "org-fstree") vs (babel, windows, shell)

From: Brady Trainor
Subject: [O] ("Cannot open load file" "org-fstree") vs (babel, windows, shell)
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2013 01:06:25 +0000 (UTC)

* ("Cannot open load file" "org-fstree") vs (babel, windows, shell)

long story short, fstree strategy leads to "cannot open load path", babel
route is only explained for I believe Linux version. Ad-hoc solution with
Windows command prompt, cut and paste directory structure.

** org tree issues

was trying to have a view of some folder structures from within org-mode

found this:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/17527/

Saw two strategies based on two replies, will detail my attempts

*** Matt Lundin's

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/17527/focus=17538

Not sure what it will look like, found this image, but not sure if
additional function will be available in fstree

http://digit.lk/old/beta5/sites/default/files/Gaveen-fstree.png

here are my attempts:

**** debugging fstree install

***** first attempt

****** steps taken:

- followed directions at

  - http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/17527/focus=17768

  - http://burtzlaff.de/org-fstree/ and

  - http://burtzlaff.de/org-fstree/README.org

that is, I used list-packages to find package and install it,

then found location, added it to .emacs file, as displayed in following
section

****** code added to .emacs file:

(setq load-path (cons "~\.emacs.d\elpa\org-fstree-20090723.819\org-
fstree.el" load-path))

(require 'org-fstree)

****** error report

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "org-
fstree")

  require(org-fstree)

  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "c:/Users/user-
name/AppData/Roaming/.emacs" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 1833

  load-with-code-conversion("c:/Users/user-
name/AppData/Roaming/.emacs" "c:/Users/user-name/AppData/Roaming/.emacs" t
t)

  load("~/.emacs" t t)

  #[0 "\205\262

***** second attempt:

****** download manually into:

.emacs.d

****** modify load path in .emacs file

****** see if there is an error on initialization

indeed, get:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "org-
fstree")

  require(org-fstree)

  eval-buffer(#<buffer  *load*> nil "c:/Users/user-
name/AppData/Roaming/.emacs" nil t)  ; Reading at buffer position 1837

  load-with-code-conversion("c:/Users/user-
name/AppData/Roaming/.emacs" "c:/Users/user-name/AppData/Roaming/.emacs" t
t)

  load("~/.emacs" t t)

  #[0 "\205\262

*** Sebastian Rose's

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/17527/focus=17768

**** babel cmd-type attempt

problem seems to be that windows does not have same shell, so i try it
manually next

#+begin_src sh :results output :exports results

  echo "Directory structure:"

  tree ~/.emacs.d/

#+end_src

**** cmd line: tree /A > tree.txt

which results in (copying and pasting into environment):

#+BEGIN_EXAMPLE

Folder PATH listing for volume something

Volume serial number is something

C:.

+---something

|   +---something

|   |   +---something

|   |   |   \---something

|   |   \---something

|   \---something

|       +---something

|       |   \---something

|       \---something

+---something

#+END_EXAMPLE

**** is there any way to get this going in windows? perhaps with python or
another language that can get to windows folder structure

** P.S.

Why would I want to do this? As I attempt to fit my entire universe into
this org-mode contraption I recently found, I've decided for now to leave a
few things just outside the fort, and have a visual map of the outside file
structure handy within org.