[O] inconsistency in backend export functions?

From: John Kitchin
Subject: [O] inconsistency in backend export functions?
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 09:27:54 -0500

Hi All,

I was playing around with creating a new backend to convert an org-file to a json representation, and I came across this apparent inconsistency in the backend function signatures.

at http://orgmode.org/worg/dev/org-export-reference.html it suggests the backend transcoding functions should have this signature:

(defun org-backend-xxx (element contents info)
  code that converts element to a string)

but, that does not work for a plain-text element. Even in ox-latex.el it is defined with only two arguments, with no contents.

(defun org-latex-plain-text (text info)

My exporter works when I define it this way too, but it seemed like an odd inconsistency to me. Am I missing something in the docs somewhere?

John

John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F