Re: [O] [Babel] [Bug] Cache

From: Eric Schulte
Subject: Re: [O] [Babel] [Bug] Cache
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 19:29:02 -0700

Achim Gratz <address@hidden> writes:

> Eric Schulte writes:
>> In that thread we agreed that the expansion of no-web references
>> *should* be included in code blocks for hashing, but no-one has had the
>> time to implement this.
>
> I think we may have discussed this before, but if you make the hashes
> dependent on the possibly recursive noweb expansions

What is a recursive noweb expansion?  I think of the following, which
will cause errors in any situation.

#+name: a
#+begin_src sh
  echo "hi <<b>>"
#+end_src

#+name: b
#+begin_src sh
  echo "hi <<a>>"
#+end_src
> this would require that all expansions be re-computed all the time or
> you would need to discern which of the expansions are "pure"
> (i.e. depend only on their arguments, functional-style), which have
> session semantics and which of the ones that have session semantics
> should possibly not be re-evaluated.  I'm not sure that opening this
> can of worms is worth the trouble.

I still (and I think this was my issue last time) don't see how noweb
expansions are more complicated than :var arguments.  That said I agree
that this is an edge case, and I certainly don't have time to make this
change (which you right could be complex) at the moment.

Best,

--
Eric Schulte
https://cs.unm.edu/~eschulte