Re: [O] Cygwin (org-open-file (org-odt-export-to-odt nil s v) 'system) o

From: Jambunathan K
Subject: Re: [O] Cygwin (org-open-file (org-odt-export-to-odt nil s v) 'system) opens odt as zip
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2013 15:46:27 +0530

Miguel Ruiz <address@hidden> writes:

Remove all your configurations and try this.  This will use windows
"open".

(require 'org)  ;; Make sure org is loaded

(defun org-default-apps ()
  "Return the default applications for this operating system."
  (cond
   ((eq system-type 'darwin)
    org-file-apps-defaults-macosx)
   ((memq system-type '(cygwin windows-nt)) ;;  <============
    org-file-apps-defaults-windowsnt)
   (t org-file-apps-defaults-gnu)))

> "cygstart %s"

Any reason why this one is preferable windows's default "open".  Is
cygstart a recent addition or is it available even on older
distributions.

> - How can redefine or supress 'system in (org-open-file
> (org-odt-export-to-odt nil s v) 'system) line in ox-odt.el?

ODT files are zip files (can be opened in archive-mode) or they can be
opened in doc-view.

Use of 'system has generally not proved to be problematic in practice.
I think it is possible to accomplish what you want without touch or
modifying that particular line.

> - May I propose to developers to include (defconst
> org-file-apps-defaults-cygwin ... or similar?

It would be a good idea.

But, does the Emacs come from cygwin distribution or is it NT Emacs
(ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/windows/).

Sorry, I am unable to provide concrete feedback.

As sometime user of Cygwin + Windows, I found that Cygwin is a pain and
started using native Windows Emacs and Gnu Win32 libraries.

I have now moved to Debian now.