Re: [O] habit-only agenda that doesn't remove tasks when done?

From: Christopher Allan Webber
Subject: Re: [O] habit-only agenda that doesn't remove tasks when done?
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 10:25:26 -0600

address@hidden writes:

> Christopher Allan Webber <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I'd like to have a habit-only agenda view, if possible, that looks a bit
>> like:
>>

>> Morning habits
>> --------------
>>
>> life:  TODO Shave               [   * *  *    *         !]  habit::morning:
>> rsi:   TODO morning stretches   [  **   **    **       *!]  habit::morning:
>>
>> Night habits
>> ------------
>>
>> life:  TODO Exercise            [   * *  *    *         !]  habit::night:
>>

>> ... and maybe an other category for cathing the rest.
>>
>> I'd also like to have these habits not drop off the agenda view when I
>> move them to DONE if possible.  However, I'm getting the sense that this
>> isn't possible... it seems like the habit system works with
>> agendas-only, and there's no way to say "give me an agenda with only
>> these certain things on it".
>
> Did you try the following custom command?
>
>               ("h" "Habits" tags-todo "STYLE=\"habit\""
>                ((org-agenda-overriding-header "Habits")
>                 (org-agenda-sorting-strategy
>                  '(todo-state-down effort-up category-keep))))
>
> Thanks and Regards
> Noorul

Never noticed this reply till now...

Yes, I tried it; unfortunately it does not show the habit graph, that
only displays in the agenda, and the above version uses tags-todo.

I'd like to be able to show habits, *with* the graph though.  The only
way to do that seems to be through the agenda, and the "match"
parameter of agenda custom commands doesn't seem to support the agenda.

I finally figured out a solution:

#+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
  (defun cwebber/skip-unless-habit ()
    "Checks to see if the style at point is \"habit\""
    (if (not (equal (org-entry-get (point) "STYLE") "habit"))
        ; Skip till the next heading
        (progn (outline-next-heading) (1- (point)))))

  (setq org-agenda-custom-commands
        '(("h" "Habits"
           ((agenda
             ""
             ((org-habit-show-all-today t)
              (org-agenda-skip-function 'cwebber/skip-unless-habit)))))))
#+END_SRC

This solution works.  It allows me to pull up just the habits, including
those that have already been done today.

There's only one thing left to do that would make it awesome, and that
would be to make it so that the ones that are now already done said DONE
instead of TODO still.

Other than that, this seems to be kinda working-ish.