Re: [O] \newpage in HTML export

From: Eric Abrahamsen
Subject: Re: [O] \newpage in HTML export
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2013 08:11:50 +0700

Suvayu Ali <address@hidden> writes:

> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 03:20:02PM -0600, Russell Adams wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 20, 2013 at 09:15:43PM +0000, Luke Crook wrote:
>> >
>> > That works.  But that means I need both #+HTML: and #+Latex: for the same
>> > thing. \newpage should convert as appropriate depending on the export.
>> >
>> > So, \newpage should translate to the HTML equivalent on HTML export, and
>> > the
>> > Latex equivalent on Latex export.
>> >
>> > It only works correctly on Latex export
>>
>> \newpage is a Latex command, and so you need the #+Latex: prefix if
>> you're exporting to multiple formats. That will prevent it from
>> happening.
>
> To add a historical comment, eventhough Org claims to be backend
> neutral, it treats LaTeX preferencially in practice.  e.g. many common
> LaTeX commands/macros are "understood" by Org.
>
> Just follow what Russel said, put them both where you need a pagebreak.
> Try this:
>
> #+MACRO: pagebreak @@latex:\newpage@@ @@html:<div style="page-break-before:
> always">&nbsp;</div>@@
>
> {{{pagebreak}}}
>
> Hope this helps,

Emacs already has the concept of the page-delimiter (defaults to ^L),
for page-related commands. I once floated the idea of making a
page-break a full org element, that could be handled differently by
different backends. I think I made it sound too complicated, though.
Anyway, that's still a possibility.