Re: [O] Customize group, strange behaviour of group org export latex

From: Suvayu Ali
Subject: Re: [O] Customize group, strange behaviour of group org export latex
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2013 11:30:57 +0100

Hello Rasmus,

On Mon, Nov 11, 2013 at 09:32:06AM +0000, Rasmus Rempling wrote:
> Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

> > I believe this comes from the Org shipped with your version of Emacs.
> > What is your Emacs version?  What does org-version tell you *before* you
> > load Org or open an .org file?  I bet it is 7.xx or older.
>
> Before loading an org-file the versions are:
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10), Org-mode
> version 8.2.2 (release_8.2.2-181-gf31eb4
>
> and after loading an org-file
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10), Org-mode
> version 8.2.2 (release_8.2.2-181-gf31eb4

Org is often loaded before opening any .org files.  This depends on your
setup (i.e. your init file).  In your init file if you do something
like:

  (require 'org)
  (my-custom-stuff)

Org is already loaded by the time Emacs starts.

> I get the strange behaviour with this versions. And I cant see why this
> would be an issue.
>
> But of course if I exclude the load path to the git version in my .emacs I
> get (before and after loading an org-file):
> GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10), Org-mode
> version 6.33x.
>
> Are you referring to that the version 6.33 is interfering with the 8.2.2
> version, even though I am loading version 8.2.2 in my .emacs?

Yes.  This version of Org mode has variables that are not present in the
latest Org.  So in the customise menu you see a mix of all.  You can
verify this by doing `C-h v org-export-latex-classes RET'.  The help
buffer should tell you which file defines the variable; if I am right,
it should point to the Org bundled with Emacs.

There is an expreimental recipe by Achim to kill these deprecated
variables.  You can find it here:

<https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d/blob/master/kill-old-org.el>

Note that the above snippet should be loaded before you load the latest
Org: see lines 16-18 in

<https://github.com/suvayu/.emacs.d/blob/master/init.el>

Hope this helps,

--