Re: [O] org-element-property syntax (turning strings into keyword symbol

From: Nicolas Goaziou
Subject: Re: [O] org-element-property syntax (turning strings into keyword symbols)
Date: Sat, 09 Nov 2013 08:48:15 +0100

Hello,

Matt Price <address@hidden> writes:

> This works fine.  Now when I come back to this buffer I want to check
> whether any of the properties are actually there.  So I am trying
> something like this:
>
> (let ((hasprops nil))
>   (dolist prop org-writers-room-properties
>       (if (org-element-property (car prop) (org-element-at-point))
>            (setq hasprops t))
>       (if (hasprops)
>           (etc.))
>
> However this doesn't work because (1) the car of "prop" (which is in
> fact the property name) is not necessarily capitalized and

Then `upcase' the property name first. I assume you will only refer to
user-defined properties so their equivalent keyword will always be in
upper cases.

> (2) the "property" parameter of org-element-property is not a string,
> but a "keyword symbol". Somehow I have to turn my string into the
> appropriate keyword symbol. Does anyone know how to do this?

Use `intern'.

For efficiency reasons, I also suggest to store `org-element-at-point'
in a variable instead of computing it again each time you are looking
for a property:

  (let ((hashprops nil)
        (element (org-element-at-point)))
    (dolist (prop org-writers-room-properties)
      (if (org-element-property (intern (concat ":" (upcase prop))) element)
          ...)))

Regards,

--
Nicolas Goaziou