Re: [O] org-mode in the wild

From: John Kitchin
Subject: Re: [O] org-mode in the wild
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2013 18:35:27 -0500

I wasn't familiar with pgf at all. we are usually limited by what publishers will accept in terms of formats, which is usually pdf, eps, png or tiff where we publish.

for other features in pdf, we did not use any for these manuscripts, but sometimes I use some adobe specific _javascript_ for making interactive features in course notes(using acrotex). some of those do not work well in any other browser.

John

-----------------------------------
John Kitchin
Associate Professor
Doherty Hall A207F
Department of Chemical Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
412-268-7803
http://kitchingroup.cheme.cmu.edu

On Sun, Nov 3, 2013 at 8:37 AM, Rasmus <address@hidden> wrote:
John Kitchin <address@hidden> writes:

> We had another manuscript written in org-mode accepted in Topics in
> Catalysis (http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007%2Fs11244-013-0166-3)!
> Check out references 14, 39 and 40 ;)

Congrats!  And thanks for sharing.

> The supporting information seems to be freely available (
> http://link.springer.com/content/esm/art:10.1007/s11244-013-0166-3/file/MediaObjects/11244_2013_166_MOESM1_ESM.pdf)
> was also prepared in org-mode. It is probably best read with the Adobe PDF
> reader. This file is an interesting hybrid of data sharing methods. Some of
> the data is in the pdf, some of it is embedded in the pdf, including the
> org-mode files for the manuscript and the supporting information file
> itself. Anyone interested in seeing how we did it can check it out.

With Evince 3.10, the GNOME document viewer, I'm able to save
attachments.  Do you use other features?.  It's catching up.
Supposedly, Okular is also quite feature-rich.

On matplotlib: looks great!
Are you aware that matplotlib now supports pgf out-of-the-box?  You
just specify it as an extension (pgf).  .pgf is also recognized as an
image in Org for a while.  The main benefit is that fonts magically
get the right size.

–Rasmus

--
Dung makes an excellent fertilizer